Re: an appreciably toned-down and much less arrogant and grandiose draft

B> The wording is better, but the idea is still the same.  I stated my
B> reasons before, so I won't repeat them.  I think the goal of being
B> a "base system" is a poor one.  It is my belief that Debian should
B> have the goal of being the best _distribution_ available.

I think we can "market" Debian as both.  But we should keep in mind
we're not worried about the reality, we're worried about the
perception.  Ideally what we want is the distribution people to know
that they can (and probably should) use Debian as a base, *and* users
to know that Debian is a great distribution by itself.

The problem is that unless you are careful, advertising for one
goal could interfere with the other.  I think that the goal of getting
users is *much* more important right now than the getting distribution
builders.  So I suggest that we emphasize that.  We can always
increase the emphasis on the "base" concept later.

That said, I think that the new wording is pretty good.  Saying things
like:

"Debian is an excellent stand-alone Linux system.  It is also a base
upon which value-added Linux distributions should be built."

works well, but I'd probably say something more like:

"Debian is an excellent Linux distribution in its own right, but it is
also desgned to be a base upon which value-added Linux distributions
can be built."

B> Any comparisons to other distributions are likely to get you flamed
B> to a crisp.  The message I get from this is "Red Had is a close
B> second but all the others are pale comparisons."

This is certainly an issue that should be handled with kid gloves.  We
should, as much as possible, let the users who are amazed with the
quality of our system be our PR people, but we also need to give some
sense of what league we're competing in.

--
Rob