image clobbers modules for previous image

I'm running a 1.3.97 kernel on a mostly 1.1 system (upgraded piece meal
early in ELF development cycle)
This weekend I finally bit the bullet and did a complete update of the base
packages. Upon rebooting this morning I discovered that there was no
dependency information available to the kernel for modules. I was able to
fix it by running 'depmod -a'.
This appears to be the result of installing the image package. I noticed
that there are several error messaged about can't delete directory, not
empty, on all the module directories for the most recent kernel.
I understand that this is because of the version upgrade features of dpkg
(ie trying to remove old version files) that are so desirable in all the
other packages is not appropriate to this one.
Can we do something like including the version in the package name (ie
image_1_3_64) so that they can be installed side by side. What ever patch
ups necessary could be done in the post install script.

Unless someone objects, I am going to propose to debian-user that the
image package NOT be installed when upgrading from R6 to 1.1 beta.

Parity on Dudes,
(oops, and Dudetts too :-)

Dwarf