Re: image clobbers modules for previous image

Hi,

	The new versions of the kernel source and kernel image include
 the kernel version in the package names, so from the 1.3.97 version
 onwards there would be no need to worry about the modules,
 boot/vmlinuz, and boot/System.map being overridden when upgrading the
 kernel packages.

	I think there is no need for the newer kernel packages
 to replace older versions (let the user decide when to get rid of the
 old versiones herself).  I did not think that I had replaced
 source/image in the new control files (I'll check as soon as I get
 home), and If I have done so, I apologize for the inconvenience.

	In any case, I'll provide a new set of files to simon for the
 kernel packages, which will not have the problem of overwriting the
 old module files, and other enhancements.  When the kernel versions
 of incorporating these changes get uploaded, maybe the instructions
 for upgrades could be changed again?

	manoj

>>"Dale" == Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:

Dale> I'm running a 1.3.97 kernel on a mostly 1.1 system (upgraded
Dale> piece meal early in ELF development cycle) This weekend I
Dale> finally bit the bullet and did a complete update of the base
Dale> packages. Upon rebooting this morning I discovered that there
Dale> was no dependency information available to the kernel for
Dale> modules. I was able to fix it by running 'depmod -a'.  This
Dale> appears to be the result of installing the image package. I
Dale> noticed that there are several error messaged about can't delete
Dale> directory, not empty, on all the module directories for the most
Dale> recent kernel.  I understand that this is because of the version
Dale> upgrade features of dpkg (ie trying to remove old version files)
Dale> that are so desirable in all the other packages is not
Dale> appropriate to this one.  Can we do something like including the
Dale> version in the package name (ie image_1_3_64) so that they can
Dale> be installed side by side. What ever patch ups necessary could
Dale> be done in the post install script.

Dale> Unless someone objects, I am going to propose to debian-user that the
Dale> image package NOT be installed when upgrading from R6 to 1.1 beta.

Dale> Parity on Dudes,
Dale> (oops, and Dudetts too :-)

Dale> Dwarf

--
Most of our so-called reasoning consists in finding arguments for
going on believing as we already do.  -- James Harvey Robinson %%