Re: Digital sponsorship of Debian Linux on Alpha (fwd)

Bruce Perens writes ("Re: Digital sponsorship of Debian Linux on Alpha (fwd)"):
> I spoke with MadDog and the Alpha-PC product manager at Decus SF in
> December. They were receptive to providing motherboards to us to be
> used to support a Debian port at that time. Back then they preferred
> to provide motherboards vs. entire systems - for me that is no problem
> as I have enough parts to build a few PCs in my basement. For some of
> you that is probably the case as well.
>
> Before I contact them again officially, I would like to have firm
> committments from people who would put time into an Alpha port.
> Speak up, guys.

I don't have the time, at the moment, even though I'd like to help.

However I think that one thing we could impress on them (if we have
any good offices) is that we (the Linux community) _need_ a 64-bit ELF
standard yesterday, if not last year.

Before this is done Linux/Alpha can't have shared libraries the way
the other Linux ports do them, and so Debian will be a _real pain_ to
try to port.

When that is done I'd be glad to be given an account on a Debian alpha
machine somewhere and help to build a few packages; I'd certainly like
to try building dpkg for example (though this *ought* not to be too
hard).

Note that with our current packaging scheme you really need to give
anyone who's developing root access, so it might be worth having one
`insecure' machine which is used for test installations and remote
development.  Reinstalling regularly will make it hard for hackers to
retain any foothold they might get :-).

Ian.