re: base disks and editors...

Hi Dale Scheetz;  On 30-May-96 you wrote:

>> WRT editors and other base features: Would it be so bad to enlarge the
> base system? It already takes 5 diskettes to install a new base system.
> Would it be so bad to increase this by 20%, to a 7 disk set?

Yes.  Reduce the number of floppies to 1-2.  NT shipps on 3, Unixware
on 1-2.

> One of the things I think should be in the base system is ppp and ftp.
> Netbase, netstd and ppp will all fit on one diskette. In fact, when I
> install Linux for others, I take a CD with everything on it, a boot, root,
> and the three base disks, as well as, netstd, netbase, and ppp, on an
> additional diskette. More than once it has allowed us to get the devel
> section from the net, build a custom kernel that recognizes the CD drive
> and install the rest from there.

If we do a boot kernel which has nothing to do with installed kernel
(like all the others since the days of 800 BPI install tapes), and have
the CD drivers all as modules, we should be able to have only 1-3 kernel
disks.  We could have a networking floppy as optional image.

Bit my 2 cents say fewer flopies.

> A net capable base system is very desirable.

As an option, not melted into the base.