Re: base disks and editors...

> I can provide it [a public NFS Debian root].  Easy.

OK, let's give it a try. Please set up a public, read-only NFS volume
called debian-root. I will need to write files on that filesystem with
UID 0 and the setuid-bit. I think all that is necessary is to copy the
contents of the root floppy, the file base1_1.tgz and /lib/modules
(for whatever kernel we're using) to that filesystem. Then we will have
to make a version of the boot floppy that has NFS linked in. After that,
it should just start up with a command-line argument to set the root
filesystem.

The root floppy writes files to its /tmp and I think to /etc/utmp,
so I will have to hack the rc script to make a small ramdisk filesystem
at boot time for tmp and etc and copy the appropriate files in there.

	Thanks

     Clinton isn't perfect, but I like him a whole lot more than Dole.

Bruce Perens AB6YM          Bruce@Pixar.com            http://www.hams.com/