Re: References to GNU/Linux

> Linux is the only kernel I know of which can only be built with gcc.

*BSD (even 386BSD, which came out a small number of months before
linux, if I remember correctly), OSF/1 (at least on the MIPS - that's
*why* there was so much work on the MIPS port from Mike Meissner when
he was still at OSF) VSTA (not as good an example, but it's a free
microkernel done by someone at Cisco.) Oh, and probably LynxOS (a
commercial real time kernel - while they do ship their own compiler as
well, I'm pretty sure they stopped using it. I could be wrong though.)

Regardless, it's always been the case that the FSF has been careful to
make it clear that the output of gcc has no FSF restrictions on it, so
it would be pretty bad for Richard to make any issue of the use of gcc
(even if it were linux-specific.)