ftp from master

I have been having strange ftp problems with master lately. Large source
file packages, like: emacs, gnuchess, and others lock up the ftp transfer
somewhere near the end of the transfer (between 75% for emacs and 90% for
gnuchess).
In the past when master would lock up during ftp, it was because master
had gone away. These occurances happen while master is up and, apparently,
healthy.
The only real changes to my system are: I have upgraded to the 2.0 kernel;
and I am current with the base packages. Everything else has been stable
for several months.
I use wu-ftp and have version 2.4-16 installed (I noticed that the archive
is up to R20, I'll probably upgrade). Is this a kernel problem, an ftp
problem, or something else? (vacuum between the earphones?)
This is a very frustrating problem. I tried with emacs 3 times before I
gave up, with the same result each time. I moved on and then ran into it
again!
I would like to be able to obtain these files. Any suggestions about how?

TIA,

Dwarf