Re: archive changes for release

On Thu, 13 Jun 1996, Bruce Perens wrote:

> Oops, I missed the symbolic-link point. OK - when we change all of the
> package names to use underscore as a delimiter, we will change the
> development directory name as well. We can phase this over a few days,
> removing sub-directories in "unstable" and creating them in... uh, I
> guess we can't call it "woody" - that means something else than the name
> of an animated character in a lot of English-speaking countries :-) .

A woody is what you'll get when you realize how superior Debian is.  ;)

Just pick some other character you liked - the little green guys with
the 3 eyes in the vending machine at the pizza place were neat.  What
were their names?

You wrote that you want a release of buzz on Monday.  So sometime on
Monday, buzz will be frozen.  Do you want to go with the new naming
convention for buzz?  The symbolic links from development into buzz
will still work either way.

The best thing might be to just bite the bullet and make the whole
change, including new names everywhere, tonight.  I assume mirroring
software limits how many megs are transferred in one session.  By
Monday all the mirrors will be caught up with tonight's possible
massive change.

I suspect many of the mirrors didn't follow your instructions and are
already in the middle of regetting the whole buzz tree.  If so, it's
the same work to force them to get the whole buzz tree, then throw away
development and replace it with symlinks.

I can think of two other advantages to doing the whole change tonight
with the new names in buzz.  The mirrors won't need a gig of storage,
even temporarily.  A different naming convention in buzz and
development could be a source of confusion for users.

Guy