Re: archive changes for release

On Thu, 13 Jun 1996, Bruce Perens wrote:

> But what happens when you create the code-named directory? You either
> create it empty, or you create it with a compliment of packages. If
> you create it with a compliment of packages, it's best for the mirror
> site maintainers to do the same copying thing.

He was suggesting to create it with a tree of symbolic links to the
previous version.  Then we replace the links with files as new packages
get updated.

This seems like a really good idea to me.  dinstall won't even need to
be changed.  It would take only a few minutes to write a script that
duplicates a tree with symbolic links.  And the best part is it's very
kind to the mirrors - no work from the admins, and never an enormous
update at once.

So we could have:
/buzz              frozen released version
/buzz-updates      important upgrades to buzz (security fixes, fatal bugs, &c)
/woody             current development version, populated with a mix of files
                   and links to buzz
/development       symlink to /woody
/release           symlink to /buzz
/release-updates   symlink to /buzz-updates

Three months from now, we do the following:
1. Copy any files from buzz to woody that were still symbolic links
2. rm -rf buzz
3. Change the symbolic links development, release, release-updates to point
   to the new places.
4. Create a new directory, bopeep, and fill it with symbolic links to
   woody.

The idea is that CD manufacturers press /release, and it's static.
Users should then upgrade any packages in /release-updates.  If they're
feeling adventerous, they can upgrade to /development.

Pretty simple, no?  I think we should make this change asap.  Then we wouldn't
have to inundate the mirrors after this one time.

Guy