Re: tar reverted to prior version

You (Bdale Garbee) wrote:

> After some discussion with the upstream author, and a quick check with Bruce,
> I have reverted the tar in the rex tree to the 1.11.8-5 version, and moved
> the 1.11.11-2 version to project/experimental.
>
> All versions newer than 1.11.8 are "pre-releases" from Francois Pinard, and
> while he has appreciated the feedback on issues we've found in the later
> releases, there are some not-so-subtle bugs in 1.11.11 that won't be fixed
> soon enough for me to feel good about Bruce/Ian etc having to deal with them
> in their packages that wrap tar.

Uhm but tar 1.11.11 builds out of the box with glibc (on the Alpha) while
1.11.8 doesn't build at all, and will require a lot of hacking. So I'll
stick to 1.11.11 on the Alpha. When will there be a "real" release?

Mike.
--
   Miquel van      | Cistron Internet Services   --    Alphen aan den Rijn.
   Smoorenburg,    | mailto:info@cistron.nl          http://www.cistron.nl/