Re: newsgroup creation RFD - draft

Bruce Perens wrote:

> I think it might be time to go for a set of newsgroups. I would keep
> debian-devel and debian-private on mailing lists, but possibly move the
> server (if we can't find Anders). Here is a draft RFD. Discussion please?

My 0.02 $ on this:

These are definitely too many groups for comp.*. And I'm not sure if we
should go there at all. I for one, would prefer to expand the
debian hierarchy on linux.*, especially gettign debian-devel up
there. Reading it via a MUA just isn't possible in he time I
allocate to debian, a threaded newsreader would do wonders for me.

So IMHO we have a choice of going big-8 (comp.*), but with a
at *most* 3 groups (announce, tech, user-support), or build a
finer hierarchy on linux.*, which may well be moderated/mailinglist
just like debian-user is now. I prefer the second.

And btw, I just installed 1.1.4 (FINALLY) as I got my Infomagic 6-CD set,
so I will take up managing my packages (cnews/nntpd/..) again.
(Any remailing of gripes is welcome, though I think I didn't miss any.)
Currently I'm writing my master thesis on the Debian 0.91 (?) system on
my first HD [hehe, I DID upgrade it to the 1.0.9 kernel ...], which is
mission critical for me, but I'll play with 1.1.4 on the second HD.

otmar

PS, Congrats to the Golden Nica Pixar won at this year's Ars Electronica.
    Too bad you didn't come to pick it up. I like meeting people f2f once
    in a while.
--
/ Otmar Lendl (lendl@cosy.sbg.ac.at) # http://www.cosy.sbg.ac.at/~lendl/  \
\ Killfiles generate SEP fields. Beware: the CE-Norm does not cover them. /