Re: newsgroup creation RFD - draft

'Bruce Perens wrote:'

>From: Otmar Lendl <lendl@cosy.sbg.ac.at>
>> So IMHO we have a choice of going big-8 (comp.*), but with a
>> at *most* 3 groups (announce, tech, user-support)
>
>At this point I am considering one group: comp.os.linux.debian, which
>would be similar to debian-user. Using comp.os.linux.announce as the
>announce channel is appropriate, and we can keep the present mailing
>lists and add to them as appropriate.

I would like this (only /one/ group).  I don't read debian-user due to
volume, but would subscribe to c.o.l.d.  One consequence would be that
redhat, slackware and probably other large Linux distributions would
request newsgroups.  This may be newsgroup bloat, but I think many
problems (especially install problems) in the Linux community are
distribution specific.  Often these are easier to solve by users or
experts familiar with the distribution vs. generic Linux gurus.

--
Christopher J. Fearnley            |    Linux/Internet Consulting
cjf@netaxs.com, cjf@onit.net       |    UNIX SIG Leader at PACS