Re: RedHat control panel?

Regarding dialog, I find it sufficient to use as the front-end of a
configuration tool, but its bugs are sometimes annoying. Don't send it
over-wide text, it tends to dump core.

I made a shell front-end for dialog as part of the installation system,
and modified it for "modconf".
This makes dialog easier to invoke in Bash scripts.
You can pick it out of the modconf script, but here it is.
You can see examples of its use in modconf and boot-floppies.
Our "you could teach a chicken to install Debian" installation system
is written using it.

	Thanks

	Bruce

# Shell interface to "dialog"
# Bruce Perens, November 1995
# This is free software under the GNU General Public License.

# Global options
#	The variable $BACKTITLE specifies the back title.
#	The variable $DIALOG_OPTIONS, initialized here to --clear, provides
#	options you want on the command line of each dialog invocation.
#	The variable $DIALOG_TEST can be set to "echo" to see the calls
#	to dialog without executing them.

DIALOG_OPTIONS=""

# Make any dialogue box, with default settings and backtitle from
# $BACKTITLE in the environment.
#
# dialogBox --type arg arg ...
#
dialogBox () {
	local type="$1"
	shift
	local title=""
	local backtitle=""

	local text="$1"
	shift

	if [ $# -ge 1 ]; then
		title="$1"
		shift
	fi

	if [ -n "$BACKTITLE" ]; then
		backtitle="$BACKTITLE"
	fi

	$DIALOG_TEST dialog $DIALOG_OPTIONS --title "$title" --backtitle \
	 "$backtitle" "$type" "$text" 0 0 "$@" 2>&1 1>/dev/tty
	local result=$?
	return $result
}

# Display a file.
#
# fileBox filename [title]
#
fileBox () {
	dialogBox --textbox "$1" "$2"
}

# textBox takes presents its standard input in a dialog box. This
# is useful for "here documents" and pipes.
#
# textBox [title]
#
textBox () {
	cat >$TempFile

	if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
		echo "Can't make temporary file for dialog box." 1>&2
		return -1
	fi

	# Note that dialog needs stdin to be the terminal, so I redirect here.
	< /dev/tty dialogBox --textbox $TempFile "$1"
	local result=$?
	rm -f $TempFile
	return $result
}

msgBox () {
	dialogBox --msgbox "$1" "$2"
}

infoBox () {
	dialogBox --infobox "$1" "$2"
}

yesNoBox () {
	dialogBox --yesno "$1" "$2"
}

inputBox () {
	dialogBox --inputbox "$1" "$2" "$3"
}

# menu text title tag1 item1 ...
menu () {
	local text="$1"
	shift
	local title="$1"
	shift
	dialogBox --menu "$text" "$title" 0 "$@"
}

# menu text title tag1 item1 status1 ...
checklist () {
	local text="$1"
	shift
	local title="$1"
	shift
	dialogBox --checklist "$text" "$title" 0 "$@"
}

# menu text title tag1 item1 status1 ...
radiolist () {
	local text="$1"
	shift
	local title="$1"