Re: RedHat control panel?

On Fri, 25 Oct 1996, Bruce Perens wrote:

> From: Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au>
> > unfortunately, linuxconf seemed hopelessly entangled with the
> > slackware way of doing things.
>
> That was my impression.
>
> I think we need to implement Lars' proposal for the configuration
> database, and we need to set a standard for scripts that edit that
> database - what they are named, how they set up a table of contents,
> etc.

yep, I believe that defining that standard is the single most important
aspect of this job - if the standard is well defined and relatively
simple then there can be a multitude of ways to interact with it.

 - what the config database is, what it can store, structure, data types
 - how to retrieve data from it (+ sample code and a library)
 - how to store data into it (+ sample code and a library)

once we have a basic config system working, we can add refinements to it
like Makefiles and HTML interface etc.

Craig