Re: RedHat control panel?

On Fri, 25 Oct 1996, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> Wow! Guys this is a VERY interesting discussion, but my original intent
> had been to find a general purpose, text based, system integration tool
> that could be used to configure a base+.tgz [1] system.

OK, then, there are two different systems needed. one to improve the
base system installation, and one to help administer an installed,
running system.

> I'm looking for a much more minimalist interface, but one that anyone
> can recognize and use.

there's dialog, which you already know about. Dialog is useful but
incredibly clumsy to use...The only real reason for using it is that
there's nothing else widely available.

There's also a package called cforms, which is a curses based forms
library for C.  It comes with an application generator.

It's pretty old, and probably primitive by today's standards but it may
be worth a look.

If you want to have a look at it, I can email it to you: cforms.tar.gz,
318729 bytes

There must be many other packages which could do the job, lurking out
there on the net somewhere. I've just done a bit of hunting and also
found:

(from the perl faq):

    3.8: How can I use curses with perl?

    [...deleted stuff about it being difficult in perl4...]

    Fortunately, in version 5, Curses is a dynamically loaded extension
    by William Setzer*.  You should be able to pick it up wherever you
    get Perl 5 from, or at least these places (expect that the version may
    change by the time you read this):

        ftp://ftp.ncsu.edu/pub/math/wsetzer/cursperl5a6.tar.gz
        ftp://ftp.metronet.com/pub/perlinfo/perl5/cursperl5a6.tar.gz
        ftp://ftp.cs.ruu.nl/pub/PERL/perl5.0/cursperl5a6.tar.gz

    For a good example of using curses with Perl, you might want to pick
    up a copy of Steven L. Kunz's* "perl menus" package ("menu.pl") via
    anonymous FTP from "ftp.iastate.edu".  It's in the directory /pub/perl

    [...]

    Another possibility is to use Henk Penning's cterm package, a curses
    emulation library written in perl.  cterm is actually a separate
    program with which you communicate via a pipe.  It is available from
    ftp.cs.ruu.nl [131.211.80.17] via anonymous ftp. in the directory
    pub/PERL.  You may also acquire the package via email in compressed,
    uuencoded form by sending a message to mail-server@cs.ruu.nl
    containing these lines:

        begin
        send PERL/cterm.shar.Z