Re: RedHat control panel?

On Sun, 27 Oct 1996, Lars Wirzenius wrote:

> Craig Sanders:
> >   4. a Makefile to control generation of "live" config files (as used by
> >      the programs being configured) from the m4 files.
>
> Um, if I understand this correctly, you're suggesting that we
> create or rewrite, say, /etc/init.d/boot from /etc/hostconfig and
> /etc/config/templates/init.d/boot (or whatever).

no, not exactly. not for scripts, anyway. boot time scripts shouldn't be
auto generated.

/etc/init.d/boot (and other scripts) would extract values from the
config database at runtime and use those to decide what to do.

config files, on the other hand can be generated as needed from
templates - sendmail.cf is a classic example...

You bring up a good point, though. There would need to be some way of
dealing with the case of the "live" target config file being edited by
hand and (at some later date) the template (or other file which the
makefile says it is dependant on) being changed.  chmod a-w?  rcs?

I use techniques like these at work to manage several important
configuration files (unfortunately, the scripts weren't originally
written by me so i'm not at liberty to share them) - e.g.
/etc/gated.conf is built automatically after defining a new dialin
system.

> This would make it necessary to edit those Debian-specific files to
> change configurations by hand using an editor. That is not a good
> idea. It would make Debian administration completely different from
> everything else, which is a nightmare for those people who have to run
> heterogenous networks.

The whole point is that these files can be edited in any manner -
using a text editor or via a html interface. Because we've defined the
structure of the template files it should be quite simple to write a
generic parser which produces a web form...for more complex templates,
custom cgi programs can be used.

Craig