Re: Various irregularities in base and devel section installs.

From: Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net>
> I started this testing with a base1_1.tgz from 1994_7_14 as a starting
> point. I copied my /lib/modules/2.1.5 path onto the same partition that
> base was untarred on, modified /etc/fstab to reflect the proper
> configuration of the new system, added /etc/modules and /etc/conf.modules
> from my development machine (to get devices drivers right) and was able to
> boot up the new partition.

If you didn't run my install scripts, various things will be unconfigured,
including these two below:

> 1. Timezone set to Factory (PST)
> 2. smail installation dies with hostname lookup failure in script

Note that when you extract base1_1.tgz, the postinst scripts have all run
already, but we don't know critical things about your configuration. I quite
deliberately leave the timezone at Factory and the hostname unset until you
run the "configure the base system" portion of the installation system.

> 1. Installation of perl dies before complete unless libc5-dev is installed
> first. Perl needs a Pre-Depends: libc5-dev to avoid this.

Is this h2ph dying? Perhaps we should have the package install precompiled
headers.

> Can that configuration script be run on a base1_1.tgz file
> after it's untarred on the target partition?

The installation script "configure the base system" portion is what you are
looking for. It is easy enough to lift out of there.

> I still can't install ldso using --root=.

If you do things exactly the way I do them in basedisks.sh, it should work.
This is not terribly complicated, and should be easy for you to duplicate.
It's going to be very difficult to bootstrap a system on an empty partition
any other way, as you run into the chicken-egg problem.

	Thanks