Various irregularities in base and devel section installs.

I started this testing with a base1_1.tgz from 1994_7_14 as a starting
point. I copied my /lib/modules/2.1.5 path onto the same partition that
base was untarred on, modified /etc/fstab to reflect the proper
configuration of the new system, added /etc/modules and /etc/conf.modules
from my development machine (to get devices drivers right) and was able to
boot up the new partition. NOTE: I use loadlin so I didn't have to do
anything with lilo, just rdev'd my test kernel on the dos partition to
root off the new partition and rebooted...no modules (2.1.5)...was able to
install my patched modules package and reboot successfully.

Several problems that I ran into may be configuration issues:
1. Timezone set to Factory (PST)
2. smail installation dies with hostname lookup failure in script
      Adding hostname and hosts files fixed this problem.

Several other problems are from inadequate dependencies:
1. Installation of perl dies before complete unless libc5-dev is installed
   first. Perl needs a Pre-Depends: libc5-dev to avoid this.
2. Midnight commander installs without complaint even when libgdbm1 is not
   installed, but will not execute for lack of the library.
   Mc needs a Depends: libgdbm1 field in it's control file.
   (Is this still in the old format?)
3. Python-base both conflicts and replaces python but fails to provide
   python, so, although it removes python when installed with no fuss,
   packages like ilu, that depend on python can't be installed without a
   force. If python-base actually replaces python then it should also
   provide python.

One final complication, actually a coupled set of complications, comes
from the tlc74/75 and tk40/41 packages and their repective -dev packages.
In the "run-time" versions having version 74 and 75 both installed at the
same time is no problem. The dev packages are another matter. For both the
tcl and the tk packages they each both provide and conflict with
tcl/tk-dev, so, if you install 40/74 first then you can't install 41/75
later without a --force-conflicts. (This, btw, suggests that only tk/tcl.h
and a none-too-small number of manpages would need to be renamed to allow
these two to coexist together on the same system)
It seems the intent here was to have only one of the two versions of the
development package installed at any one time. It would be nice if these
packages could, at least, be switched back and forth as the need arises.
Adding a replaces tk/tcl-dev field to these packages would allow this to
happen without needing --force-conflicts.

Considering the first set of items: I know that when I installed a system
from the base disks that there was an unpacking phase and a configuration
phase. Are all the above handled in that configuration? (I can locate the
script...) Can that configuration script be run on a base1_1.tgz file
after it's untarred on the target partition?

I still can't install ldso using --root=. This would make some of what I'm
doing easier with respect to building a dos bootable CD. I'm really close.

Back to work ;-)

Dwarf