Re: Debian release strategy (Was: Re: XFree86 3.2 is out, should we , delay the release of Debian 1.2)

> > This might be easier to hit, if we aimed at a code freeze for 2 months
> > after a release.

This is exactly what I have planned.

> On the code freeze date: the stable tree is renamed to stable-<version>
> and a new stable tree, containing symlinks to the former, is created
> [would this hit mirrors?].  From then on, uploads to stable would go into
> the new stable tree for the next release, not the current one.  There
> would be a special procedure for getting things into the current tree, but
> developers should have to write a short justification for this, and it
> would have to be convincing (we don't want this being exploited for
> reasons other than bugfixing).  Then an automated message should be sent
> to debian-private or other appropriate place informing everyone of the
> code freeze and how to upload emergency bugfixes (probably something in
> the .changes file).

At code freeze (which should be Mon, Nov 4th for Rex), a new distribution
will be created ("bo") which the "unstable" link will point to.  A new
"frozen" link will point to rex.  This was announced tentatively (Oct 22
or 23) and definitely (Oct 29) to debian-devel.

Packages can then be destined for "stable" (with written explanation why),
"frozen" (if it fixes a bug), or "unstable".

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )