Definition of "free" (was: New Package: defrag 0.6-1)

> > On the point of the 'binaries compiled by others', I noticed the new
> > package 'pash' of section/prio misc/extra has no source either. Pash
> > author released pash freeware, but binary only... So maybe the
> > package should go into contrib?
>
> freeware != without cost
>
> If no modifiable source code is available, then it's very very
> non-free.  Debian should not encourage people to make source code
> unavailable by placing non-free packages alongside free ones.

I disagree!  If it's free of cost and free of usage restrictions, then
why must it go in "non-free"?  I don't think that an author's choice
of whether or not to reveal his/her source is relavent.  I don't
think "freely modifiable" is a necessary property for software in
the main distribution.

If you want to get right down to the nitty gritty, the only truely
"free" form of software is public domain.  For all the FSF's high-handed
talk about "free software", I am not free to use their work in any way
I please.

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )