Re: Definition of "free" (was: New Package: defrag 0.6-1)

[ Please don't Cc: me when replying to my message on a mailing list. ]

"Brian C. White":
> I disagree!  If it's free of cost and free of usage restrictions, then
> why must it go in "non-free"?

It could go to contrib, but it can't go into the main
distribution because we can't support it properly.

> I don't think that an author's choice of whether or not to reveal
> his/her source is relavent.

Personally, I think it's crucial.

> I don't think "freely modifiable" is a necessary property for software in
> the main distribution.

I think it's essential.

> If you want to get right down to the nitty gritty, the only truely
> "free" form of software is public domain.  For all the FSF's high-handed
> talk about "free software", I am not free to use their work in any way
> I please.

I think you mean "every way", but that doesn't really matter (and
my English isn't what it should be, anyway).

For a number of people, the fact that Debian keeps free[1] and
other programs separate is a major attraction. I'm one of them.

The "what is free?" and "why is non-free bad?" flame wars are
really old in Linux. I'm not going to participate in this one
again (I think I've done it on a debian list before). I will be
rather unhappy if the current policy is changed.