Re: binary packages?

[ Please don't Cc: me when replying to my message on a mailing list. ]

> quinlan >And putting Syslinux into contrib is not a good idea.  It should be
> quinlan >okay to include binaries from "trusted sources" if they can't be
> quinlan >easily compiled by the Debian maintainer.

It's not a good idea to have the distribution depend on something
that we can't fix, if and when necessary. Syslinux is way too
critical, I think.

Christoph Lameter:
> Syslinux is a base package so it cannot go into contrib. The policy might
> need a change.

I think we'd better work on getting it to compile from within Debian.
Or switching to some other tool.

> Generally we should have some kind of policy regarding binary packages
> because now as Linux is going mainstream there will certainly be more
> packages that are commercial or have some sort of "free" status that are
> distributed binary only.

I'm happy with the current policy: binary-only goes into contrib or
non-free.

> - Packages that are binary only but freely redistributable (like PASH
>   until sources become available)

Contrib.

> - Packages that are binary but NOT freely redistributable.
>   Only the diffs are distributable. These packages can be handled by
>   "alien". Do these diffs go into the distribution or where are
>   they going? How are they uploaded / submitted?

Non-free.

> - Packages that are binary and freely redistributable when not modified
>   Those will have an .orig.tar.gz and a diff.gz but no
>   *.deb. The .deb must be generated on the fly by the alien command.

For most of these, adding debian/* does not count as a modification,
I think. Anyway, it's non-free either way.

> - Through ibcs and dosemu even packages for a variety of Unixes and DOS
>   apps could be packaged for Debian. Any ideas about that?

If they're commercial, non-free. If they're binary-only freeware, contrib.

> Perhaps some day Linux will take over the world?

Hopefully not.

> That reminds me: FreeDOS is also a binary only package not compilable
> under Debian. Should it be moved to contrib?

Yes.

(I see I'm beginning to sound very authoritative. Sorry. I'm not. I'm
just a Debian developer among a many others, which is fine with me.)