Re: Security: How we did it

Christoph, you seem to be taking the line that anyone who gives people
shell access to their system should not also run applications on it
that are important to them, or that (it seems to me, for example)
someone who installs dosemu should expect people to be able to get
root on their system.

As Bruce has pointed out, not everyone has the money or space for n
machines for n different security levels.  But, there is really a more
fundamental issue at stake:

It is not for you to decide on a security policy for every
administrator of a Debian system.

We should ship our systems so that they are by default consistent with
a reasonably tight security policy.  If a sysadmin wants (for example)
to allow all users to run pppd or dosemu then they can easily set this
situation up for themselves.

On the other hand, a sysadmin who wants to run a reasonably secure
machine should not be required to configure every individual risky
program to disable it or make it run securely or only be available to
trusted users.  This would be an impossible requirement, since no
admin can be expected to have that much time on their hands.  The
result would be that noone could run a secure Debian system that was
also functional.

Ian.