permissions on setuid binaries

Christoph Lameter <clameter@waterf.org> writes:

> Regarding the netdiag package: The setuid's that were once part of
> the package were only executable by a members of a certain
> group. [...]

I'm wondering if it would be better to leave it executable and be able
to print an appropriate error message if the user isn't in the right
group.  Thoughts?

>>> One example: the very existence of a must world readable file like
>>> /etc/passwd.

>> Using shadow passwords fixes this.  Unless you install one of
>> Chrisoph's packages, of course.

> Look I have had enough of this nonsense. Ok. You found a security
> hole in dosemu but to make this general claim is really
> irresponsible.

My error.  I should have qualified the statement so that it would be
clear I wasn't speaking of every package you have dnoe.

Here is a rephrasing that gets to the technical substance of what I
was saying (about your irresponsible claim about /etc/passwd).

  Using shadow passwords fixes this unless you install a package
  that includes a setuid root program that is not configured or
  designed properly to run setuid root.

--
Daniel Quinlan <quinlan@pathname.com>  |  finger quinlan@pathname.com for PGP
quinlan@transmeta.com (at work)        |  http://www.pathname.com/~quinlan/