Re: Security: How we did it

On 17 Nov 1996, Daniel Quinlan wrote:

quinlan >I agree, you haven't been laissez-faire.  In fact, you've been very
quinlan >"hands on" (rough antonym of the French).  You have made programs
quinlan >setuid without reviewing the security implications, warning users
quinlan >during installation, or taking steps to ensure that users couldn't
quinlan >exploit the programs.

In case of dosemu etc that was the security scheme provided by upstream.
None of my doing.

Regarding the netdiag package: The setuid's that were once part of the
package were only executable by a members of a certain group. Notice that
they were taken out after objections came up.

It would have been insecure if all would have had access by default which
was never the case with anything regarding setuids that I did personally.

quinlan >> One example: the very existence of a must world readable file like
quinlan >> /etc/passwd.
quinlan >
quinlan >Using shadow passwords fixes this.  Unless you install one of
quinlan >Chrisoph's packages, of course.

Look I have had enough of this nonsense. Ok. You found a security hole in
dosemu but to make this general claim is really irresponsible.

Why dont you take over the dosemu package and fix it? I have really enough
other things that need my attention than that nest of bugs.

PGP Public Key  =  FB 9B 31 21 04 1E 3A 33  C7 62 2F C0 CD 81 CA B5