Re: Goodbye, all! (Whatever became of X3.2)

'Ian Jackson wrote:'

>In summary:
>
>It seems to me that everyone except Brian was in favour of shipping
>3.2, and that even Brian was willing to concede the point, but that
>noone felt able to make a conclusive decision to act.

This is "the problem of decision-making in a non-heirarchial
collaborative project of all volunteers".  Until someone writes
project management software that aids decision-making in these
situations (making it clearcut), we will have problems.  I don't mind
and don't feel it's an issue that requires prompt resolution.  Instead
I am taking notes for my planned work on this "project management"
software ;)

>In particular, it seems to me at least from the messages I recall
>reading that Brian gave Bruce the opportunity to make the decision to
>put 3.2 into 1.2, but I also recall Bruce asking Brian for permission
>to do so !

Yes, no one wants to exert too much authority yet failure to exert said
authority is exertion of something else unintentionally!

>Perhaps I should have mailed Bruce and asked him to tell Brian to go
>for 3.2 ?  Instead I chose to announce my intention to do something
>unless I was told not to, and then, since noone did, carried it out.
>
>So: apart from my unreasonable and alarming/alarmed posting on Friday,
>do people still think I acted out of order ?

I actually feel that no one acted out of order!  I appreciate Brian's
position on the release scheduling and I think it's good he is the one
working to make our scheduled releases go smoother.  And Ian's moving
the X stuff was planned, announced, documented (this was perhaps the
best part!), and I think it made rex even better (thanks Ian).

>I'm not sure I have an opinion on how we can prevent this kind of
>problem arising again.

Do we want to prevent it?  The decisions could have been smoother
and with fewer feathers ruffled, but I think the process worked out
fairly well.

--
Christopher J. Fearnley            |    Linux/Internet Consulting
cjf@netaxs.com, cjf@onit.net       |    UNIX SIG Leader at PACS