Restructuring Debian

(I've made the suggested changed and thought I would repost this.)

If Debian is going to go to this kind of hierachy, I think a couple
things should be made clear at the outset.  I suggest the following,
which is largely a greatly trimmed version of the agreement in my
own company.

Definitions
~~~~~~~~~~~
Developers:  Package maintainers (one vote per maintainer, no matter
	how many packages are involved)

Board of Directors
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
* The board is limited to at most 5 people.  In the case of a tie vote,
  the chair has the casting vote.

* The board decides among itself the general trend Debian is to take.
  This includes things such as partnerships, strategic alliences, and
  general policy.  They will _not_, under any circumstances, dictate
  the day-to-day running of the company.

* There is only one manditory position on the board: the secratary.  It
  is this person's duty to keep board meeting minutes and other records.
  For our purposes, this is probably just an archive of email.  (This
  is law, at least in Canada.)

* The board will elect the officers of the company:  President and Chief
  Executive Officer.  (Note that in many cases both of these positions
  are filled by the same person.)

* The board will have veto power, but not choice, over Vice-President
  positions.

Officers
~~~~~~~~
* President:  Responsible for day-to-day running of the company, as well
  as setting and implementing company policy.

* CEO:  Responsible for the financial obligations of the company.

Decisions Making
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All decisions not described elsewhere in this document will be made by
the board of directors on a simple-majority vote except for the following
which are to be decided by a simple-majority vote of all developers:

(a)  carry out any capital transaction involving the purchase or sale or
lease of assets with an aggregate value greater than 50% of the the then
total assets of the Company, and for this purpose a series of related
transactions shall be considered to constitute a single transaction.

(b) approve any ammendment or supplement to the articles or by-laws of
Debian.

(c) approve the winding up, liquidation, amalgamation, merger or consol-
idation of Debian with any other corporation, or the continuance of Debian
under laws of another jurisdiction.

Nominations and Resignations
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Any shareholder can nominate at most one (1) candidate to become a
director every 30 days.

Appointment requires simple-majority approval by both developers and
the then board of directors.

A board member can be forcibly removed from office by agreement of all
other board members (two or more), or by a 2/3 majority vote of
developers.  Such a vote can be made no more than once every 4 months.

An officer can be forcibly removed from office by a 2/3 majority vote
of the board of directors.  Such a vote can be made no more than once
every 4 months.

Meetings
~~~~~~~~
As in-person meetings will be unusual, a minimum of 3 days must be
given for responses to arrive by email before a person can be counted
as "absent".

The chair, if not absent, has the casting vote.

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )