Restructuring Debian

Brian White:
> (I've made the suggested changed and thought I would repost this.)

You've forgotten to say how and when the board of directors is
elected.  I propose:

 Elections to the Board:
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 * The board will be elected by the developers; a developer may
   nominate another person or themselves for election, and each
   nomination must be seconded by another developer.

 * Elections to the board, if contested, will be by secret ballot by
   email, using the Single Transferrable Vote system.  The first
   candidate to be elected under this system in the election becomes
   the chairman.

 * The outgoing Secretary must appoint a returning officer, who must
   not be one of the candidates.  The returning officer is responsible
   for organising the election and declaring the result.

 * The board will serve for one calendar year.  An election for the
   new board must be held within 1 month of the end of their term of
   office.

 * The board appoints the secretary from amongst its number.

You mention the board chairman's casting vote.  This is not necessary,
and will merely confuse: does the chairman get a casting vote _in
addition_ to their normal vote ?

I propose that you replace:
 * The board is limited to at most 5 people.  In the case of a tie vote,
   the chair has the casting vote.
with
 * The board is limited to at most 7 people.  The chairman is
   responsible for managing discussions amongst the board, and has
   only a casting vote (to be used in case of tied votes).

Ian.