Re: BOARD OF DIRECTORS ELECTION

[Please excuse the delay, for various reasons i could not reply immediately.]

> I was really hoping I could get out of this, but it doesn't seem to
> be in the cards just yet. OK, I will allow myself to be nominated
> for a board position and project leader for another one-year term.
> However, if you choose to elect me, there are some terms.

I am glad to hear that.  I think you did a good job as project leader,
far better than many could have done (myself included).

> 1. There _will_ be a board of directors, and they'll do the
> _organizational_ work. I'm not going to deal with incorporation and
> structuring the organization so that we can take donations, and get
> grants, but it must be done.  So the board can appoint a treasurer,
> and can take care of these details. It happens we have users who are
> lawyers (I saw at least one indicate so in his .signature). Maybe we
> can get some of them to contribute some pro-bono work on our tax
> status. That's up to you. I won't be in charge of that project.

That sounds reasonable and is more or less what i had i mind when i
made that proposal.

> 2. The board of directors _will_ draft and pass a constitution for
> the organization. I don't want to send one down on stone tablets.

Yes. I think that the project will benefit from a constitution,
because it makes clear what the project stands for.

> 3. I won't be the board chairman. I'd rather have an organization to
> stand behind me than _be_ the organization.

I haven´t thought of it that way, but it makes sense: the project
leader (PL) has a lot of work anyway and by this way it would make the
PL equivalent to the President/CEO of a company.

> 4. Another year doesn't mean I'm your slave forever. Thus, it's
> important for the project to not lean heavily on me, and for the
> board to cultivate people who can eventually lead the project. I'm
> not at all sure I'd be available for a third term.

That is an important point.  I was not aware (or maybe i just forgot
about it) that you had set a time limit.  It is only fair to limit the
term of the PL, because a good one (like you) will most likely have
some difficulties to leave the position.

Dominik
The text above represents my personal opinion and does not represent the
official position of my employer on the issue(s) discussed.
Any official statement made on behalf of my employer by me is marked as such.