Re: BOARD OF DIRECTORS ELECTION

bruce@pixar.com (Bruce Perens) writes:

> I will not be running for the board, and after the election, I will be
> stepping down as project leader. The board of directors can choose a new
> project leader.

This is a shame.  I hope it's not because of recent events, but rather
some more important concern.  You have done a good job.  I haven't
always agreed with the *exact* way that things have been handled (I'm
a great back-seat driver :>), but I have generally agreed with the
results.

It is difficult to get an appropriate person in a position like this.
I hope Debian fares as well next time.

That said, I fear that we might be about to take the first steps in
killing Debian.  Perhaps my fears are groundless, simply due to the
fact that I haven't spent enough time working in more strictly
organized endeavors that A) worked well, and B) were still fun, but I
really think think Debian has profitted immensely from the controlled
anarchy that has represented it's development process until now.

I think I would have the same fears should Linus announce the
formation of the Linux Board of Directors and a kernel steering
commitee.

As a potential alternative I think it might be useful to have a more
general purpose voting mechanism whereby we could put general issues
up for a vote, and allow all the (interested) maintainers for a given
issue to state their opinion.  A final tally would determine our
course -- or perhaps I'm being too idealistic.

--
Rob