Re: draft announcement

bruce@pixar.com (Bruce Perens) writes:
> debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
>     There are a lot of experienced users on this list who can answer
>     any question you might have. There can be 20 messages a day or more
>     on this list.

You mean 50 messages a day, don't you?  :-)  Traffic has gone up a little
since the 1.1 release.

> Q: Can I make and sell Debian CDs?
>
> A: Go ahead. You don't need permission to distribute anything we've
> _released_. You don't have to pay us anything. We will, however, publish

[snip]

This seems to imply people can't put the unstable tree on a CD.  Perhaps
saying that they're free to do it, but that we request that they contact us
before putting an unreleased version on the CD?

You might also mention the list of CD manufacturers you maintain, if they
want to be added.

> Q: I'm making a special Linux distribution for a "vertical market". Can
> I use Debian 1.2 for the guts of a Linux system and add my own
> applications on top of it?
>
> A: Yes. For example, one person is building a "Linux for Hams"
> distribution, with specialized programs for Radio Amateurs. He's
> starting with Debian 1.1 as the "base system", and adding programs to
> control the transmitter, track satellites, etc. All of the programs he
> adds are packaged with the Debian package system so that his users will
> be able to upgrade easily when he releases subsequent CDs.

Is this intentionally Debian 1.1 as the base system, or just one you missed
changing when copying the old release statement?  Just checking...

				Warwick

Warwick Harvey                                    email: warwick@cs.mu.OZ.AU
Department of Computer Science                        phone: +61-3-9344-9171
University of Melbourne                                 fax: +61-3-9348-1184
Parkville, Victoria, AUSTRALIA 3052     web: http://www.cs.mu.OZ.AU/~warwick