Re: Why were there many releases after rex was frozen

On Fri, 13 Dec 1996, Lars Wirzenius wrote:

[snip]
> Also, we might want to have N reports that the final frozen has
> been installed successfully from scratch, in various kinds of
> configurations, and M reports that it has been upgraded from
> the previous release, also for various kinds of configurations.
> This needs to be organized well in advance, so that people can
> arrange schedules and downloads. Suitable values for N and M
> might be 5.

Good point! I second that. We have 120 active maintainers, so if every
second takes, say 2 hours per release, we could make 30 installations from
scratch and 30 upgrades. We should coordinate this somehow so that every
package get installed a certain amount.

We should have some central system where the reports of the maintainers
get collected and we should only release the version if all major bugs are
fixed.

What about the missing CD-Rom devices on 1.2? Why wasn't there someone
installing the whole thing from scratch? If we had the base system
released a week ago and a few of us test it we would get much more bugs
out of the system before releasing it to the public.

Thanks,

Chris

--          _,,     Christian Schwarz
           / o \__   schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@debian.org,