Work Done By Red Hat

The C library fixes the following items that have come up recently,
some Linux specific some more generic. Notably:

o	The bugs in assuming the resolver returned 4 byte long IP addresses
o	export YPDOMAIN=somedomain;su
o	Attacks on programs using NLS via your own message catalogs
o	The buffer overrun problems in libresolv+
o	Some other tiny (and probably not exploitable) libc items.

Can I urge the other vendors to check the diffs made to this C library.
Even if you are running libc5.4.x you don't (to my knowledge) have all
the fixes you need.

I'm also discussing things with Dan Farmer as regards Satan v2 and Linux
tests. It will hopefully be checking things like old NetKit's and the like
as a result you may see more support traffic when it is released I guess.

I'll try and work things so that there is advanced warning and see I can
persuade Dan to let vendors get final beta's so that Satan just does its
intended task of waking up people who should have upgraded things.

Alan

> rpm -Uvh ftp://ftp.redhat.com/updates/4.0/i386/libc-5.3.12-17.i386.rpm
[and source rpm of course]