Re: Is it time to abandon Dpkg?

> Everybody seems to be complaining about the dselect interface, but
> nobody has actually _done_ anything about it.

Well, it definitely needs doing. I'd suggest a better character-oriented
user interface rather than an X one, as not all of our users run X, and there
are other window systems on the horizion - X will eventually be replaced by
something that runs Java directly to the display without all of the excess
baggage and overhead of X.

Since people seem to think dselect and dpkg are worth keeping, I think someone
has to start working on a better dselect interface now. We're definitely
snoozing on this issue, and if we don't do something about it we're gonna lose.

Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Pixar.com
Finger bruce@master.Debian.org for PGP public key.