Re: pre/post install scripts and pre-depends

On Sun, 29 Dec 1996, Bruce Perens wrote:

> Ian Jackson has the final say on dpkg-related policies. I dislike perl
> but it's diffficult to make a complex installation script in bash, and
> you end up relying on a larger tool-set than perl - sed, cut, paste,
> etc. I'd prefer that {pre,post}{install,rm} scripts be written for bash
> if at all possible.

I understand the point here, having had to move to perl for the UpGrade
script that I wrote (and DoList as well) because the shell script could
not do what I needed.
As Shaya pointed out, there are other scripts, not strictly constrained to
installation scripts like install-mime that get called by pre/postinst
scripts that can be totally unrelated to the perlness of the installing
package.
I also had problems with DoList when used to install/upgrade packages on a
base system. The perl that comes in base was to anorexic for my script to
execute. Installing the full perl package resolves the issue, however, I
am taking the tact of re-writing it in C so it doesn't depend on anything.
I would argue that this tact should be taken with things like install-mime
as well.

> I think it makes sense for _all_ packages to have a pre-dependency on
> the package that provides the interpreter for their
> {pre/post}{install/rm}.

The last time I discussed this with Ian, he indicated that it was
inappropriate for non-essential packages to use pre-depends.
>From what I understand of the situation this is not technically true, but
comes from a position of "that's what it was designed for, so that's the
only thing it will work for". I could be wrong in this case, but I don't,
in general, agree that design limits function in this fashion.

Luck,

Dwarf