Re: dpkg unpack vs. configure

On Sun, 29 Dec 1996, Bruce Perens wrote:

bruce >> I am not sure what you want. I can scan for the interpreter of all scripts
bruce >> and have dependencies for those interpreters if thats it.
bruce >
bruce >That's what I'd like. Thanks!
Ok. Debmake should scan for which package that interpreter belongs to and
predepend on it. Right?

bruce >> How about having dselect immediately configure a package after install
bruce >> while unpacking the next? Then we dont need predependencies.
bruce >
bruce >This breaks in the case of circular dependencies. It currently handles
bruce >that by unpacking all packages before any are configured.
bruce >I think dpkg should fix this by checking its dependency list
bruce >for _all_ of the packages that it has unpacked but not configured each
bruce >time it unpacks _one_ package. If all of the dependencies of any unpacked
bruce >and non-configured package have been satisfied, it should configure that
bruce >package immediately.

Yes. Any package that can be configured immediately needs to be configured
that way. These circular dependencies are rather rare and I really frown
on a package using a not installed package as implied by the current
way of resolving these dependencies. Circular dependencies are rather
strange. Can we have a concrete example of one?

bruce >One reason Ian may not have it do this now is to cluster post-install questions
bruce >at the end of an installation. As we go to a database configuration this will
bruce >be less of a problem, as the configuration questions will come when the package
bruce >is selected, not installed.

Perhaps packages could set a marker to tell that they are not
interactively configuring and those could be done immediately?
I usually try to avoid interaction on installation as much as possible.

bruce >> There is also a problem with suidmanager having to be configured before
bruce >> packages using it are installed.
bruce >
bruce >Isn't that a case for pre-dependencies?

Suidmanager is designed to be transparent. If a package depends on it
then suidmanager is no longer optional. It would be a solution if
suidmanager could be immediately configured on installation.

PGP Public Key  =  FB 9B 31 21 04 1E 3A 33  C7 62 2F C0 CD 81 CA B5