Re: some ideas methods and techniques for dealing with excessively verbose or inquisitive or garrulous installation and upgrade

'Brian Mays wrote:'

>What we have now is fine for these situations.  However, the expert
>user, who knows what he is doing, might want to do a "silent" upgrade,
>especially if the upgrade is a small one, thereby skipping all of
>those stupid questions that pop up during an average upgrade.

I'd like to make a small qualification here.  I think the packaging
system should not (without --force at least) install things quietly if
the installation won't be complete.  However, if I plop in my
config.data (how this could be accomplished we still haven't decided)
from another machine, then the installation should notice that the
answers to the config questions are already provided and install
silently.  The first step in this plan is separating config variables
from the config scripts.

--
Christopher J. Fearnley            |    Linux/Internet Consulting
cjf@netaxs.com, cjf@onit.net       |    UNIX SIG Leader at PACS