Re: some ideas methods and techniques for ...

    Chris> However, if I plop in my config.data (how this could be
    Chris> accomplished we still haven't decided) from another
    Chris> machine, then the installation should notice that the
    Chris> answers to the config questions are already provided and
    Chris> install silently.  The first step in this plan is
    Chris> separating config variables from the config scripts.

See at the "dpkg unpack vs. configure" thread on debian-private,
especially what Bruce says about saving package configuration data:

[ From message <m0vexNw-00HlGiC@golem.pixar.com> ]

    Bruce> Using a database as Lars described or one as Winni
    Bruce> presented in nog-0.5 .  Add a DEBIAN/configure script that
    Bruce> is called by "dselect" at selection time or by "dpkg"
    Bruce> before it installs any packages. This script uses a limited
    Bruce> tool set - say shell and dialog, and sets fields in a
    Bruce> database that are used by the pre/postinst scripts later
    Bruce> on. Values in the database are preserved after installation
    Bruce> and can be shared between packages and even used at
    Bruce> run-time for things like the default paper-size.

This is an interesting proposal and is particularly relevant to what
we've been discussing.

--
Brian