Re: The Unified Package Manager

Just some comments...

On Sat, 11 Jan 1997 08:44:35 PST Christoph Lameter
(clameter@waterf.org) wrote:

> - Multiple options on how configuration files can be updated. Can generate
>   diffs to prior config files and then apply modifications to configuration
>   files of prior releases to the ones provided with the current package
>   (within limits of course). Can also update keyed files (like passwd,
>   group, services) in an intelligent way. Methods can be defined for new
>   ways of automatically upgrading configuration files.

IMHO, this should be optionnal, and this should be rewievable by the
installer. I'm very uneasy about wild automated diff/patch stuff...

> - Immediate configuration of Packages. No delay for the configuration of
>   daemons that might mean downtime (dselect).  No need for predependencies
>   (dpkg).

Then you'll have to find out the right order to install the packages,
and this will make circular dependencies prohibited.

> - A copy of provided Configfiles is saved in a special UPM directory for easy
>   reference and restoration of the default configuration.  (In case the
>   package was messed up)

Good idea.

> - Configuration Scripts are separate from the installation scripts and they
>   can be repeatedly invoked without reinstalling the package.

That's already the case for most of the important packages
(/usr/sbin/install-*).

> - Verification and accounting for modifications and the presence of each
>   file on the system.  For each file a checksum is stored in the package
>   managers database to allow for the detection of modifications and viruses.
>   The package manager can list all files not managed by the packaging system
>   and can be used by the sysadmin to easily group and control
>   non-distribution files on a system.

You want to integrate tripwire functionality into UPM. Nice.

> - The package format is ascii (embedded uuencode binaries) and the package
>   can be edited or written entirely with an editor.  There is no need for
>   complicated package build commands. The package can simply be written with
>   an editor and uuencoded binaries / tarfiles can be attached to that file.
>   No rule file to maintain. In contrast to rpm the recipie is also the final
>   package making for an ease of use unsurpassable.

Surely. Making it larger too. UUencoded files are

> - A package can be signed by PGP and transmitted via e-mail without a problem.

This can already be done with some intelligent mailers (exmh).

> - An e-mail message with a couple of packages can be fed directly into the
>   package manager for installation.

This is a simple script plus a mime.type.

> - Packages are executable. Just type the name or click on the
>   file from a filemanager and the package installs. No need to bother with
>   complicated package manager interfaces.

Is this useful ?

> - Automatic retrieval and installation of packages a package depends on.

Dftp handles this...

> - FAST operation through the Berkeley DB libraries with advanced hashing,
>   btree techniques.  Text files are not consulted for metainformation (like
>   dpkg does).

This would be a great enhancement over dpkg...

> - Multiple Instances of UPM can use the Database simultaneously.
>   (upm calls itself recursively to fulfill dependencies!)

You'll have to be an expert locker to do it right...

> - Packages with prefix ability can be installed in multiple locations.

Unuseful ? Will complicate maintenance.

> - Multi-Architecture support in one UPM package. The package can list
>   what binaries would fit what architecture and the upm manager will
>   install the correct parts on installation. (Of course it can also
>   be in separate packages if the size of those binaries is big).

I don't want to ftp binaries for any architecture in every package...

General comments: Christoph, there's a lot a good things in there.I really dislike some of them. Some others have been discussed for a long time in the mailing lists (meta-packages), maybe we could start by implementing these.
How would you handle compatibility with the existing system ?

Phil.