Re: The Unified Package Manager

On Sat, 11 Jan 1997, Philippe Troin wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Jan 1997 08:44:35 PST Christoph Lameter
> (clameter@waterf.org) wrote:
>
> > - Multiple options on how configuration files can be updated. Can generate
> >   diffs to prior config files and then apply modifications to configuration
> >   files of prior releases to the ones provided with the current package
> >   (within limits of course). Can also update keyed files (like passwd,
> >   group, services) in an intelligent way. Methods can be defined for new
> >   ways of automatically upgrading configuration files.
>
> IMHO, this should be optionnal, and this should be rewievable by the
> installer. I'm very uneasy about wild automated diff/patch stuff...

One ideal is to allow a user to select one of the following:

1) leave the config files alone, 100%
2) replace the config files outright
3) create a diff from the new config file to its prior contents.  Leave
   this where the user can find it easily
4) try to patch in changes, falling back on 3) above if the patch doesn't
   apply cleanly

I use a system that always does 3), plus a little that's beyond the scope
of a package manager. I'm very happy with it.