Re: Rethinking UPMs package format

I would be willing to do the following:

1. Go through all patches for dpkg and through all the bug reports and do
whatever can be done to fix things. Make it use debmake. All that is no
major change and no major effort. And then release a new dpkg.

2. Build on that base a new package called d3pkg which will merge some of
the upm ideas into dpkg hopefully resulting in a Debian format 3.0
binaries some day.

(The ascii file idea has been dropped since I already have made it
available through debmake for regular .deb packages <G>).

Concrete Ideas which I think can be done soon:

- Make packages immediately run the postinst after unpacking

- Allow a separate "configuration" script in addition to the regular
  scripts which should do all interaction with the user and which will
  be executed at configuration time.

- Automatic retrieval/installation of packages depended on and not
  installed.

- Try to integrate Berkeley DB style databases into dpkg for fast file
  lookups and allow multiple types of configfiles + checksums for all
  files.