Re: Rethinking UPMs package format

Christoph Lameter <clameter@waterf.org> writes:

> - Make packages immediately run the postinst after unpacking

I still maintain that this is undesirable.

> - Allow a separate "configuration" script in addition to the regular
>   scripts which should do all interaction with the user and which will
>   be executed at configuration time.

The regular scripts are meant to do configuration.  I don't see any
advantage to adding a third state to installed packages (besides
unpacked and configured).

> - Automatic retrieval/installation of packages depended on and not
>   installed.

dselect already does this.  In any case, such functionality is not
appropriate in dpkg.

> - Try to integrate Berkeley DB style databases into dpkg for fast file
>   lookups and allow multiple types of configfiles + checksums for all
>   files.

That's a useful idea.  But there are advantages to having the
databases as text - they can be easily edited if things go awry.

Guy