election Platform: Dale Scheetz

This is the election platform for Dale Scheetz. Candidates, please submit
your platforms. You can say anything you want, or just
"plz elect me, tnx" :-)

	Thanks

	Bruce

I discovered Linux several years ago when someone gave me a copy of the
first issue of Linux Journal. This is the first magazine I have ever read
cover to cover. I even read the fine print on the nameplate. What reached
me more than anything else in that issue was the GNU Manifesto. After
reading this, having just received my latest upgrade to Borland C++, I
immediately packaged it up and sent it back to Borland for a refund,
ordered an Info Magic Linux CD, and have never looked back.
I am heavily committed to the Free Software Ideal, but have also desired
as much technical excellence as I can get. Not being a crowd follower, I
started out with SLS and was, mostly satisfied. When my machine was struck
by lightning, I figured I would try Slackware, but was almost immediately
put off by the fact that packages taken from the internet would not
compile because of the "non-standard" library configurations. I went
looking for something else and, remembering the Debian Manifesto from that
first LJ I went looking in recent CDs for a copy and found an ancient
release. Although many things were missing, most notably PPP, this system
could build arbitrary packages from the net, so I went looking for a newer
release on the net and found this group. I've been here ever since, and
not regretted one moment spent on this project.
I have been maintaining package for two release cycles now and feel that I
am very familiar with "The Debian Way". I bring 20 years of free-lance
programming experience to the table, as well as the experience of living
in an "intentional" community that runs, primarily, on volunteer effort.
I find the "corporate model" of management to be ugly and unuseful in this
volunteer organization and will continue to fight against corporatizing
the way Debian does business either on or off of the BOD. At the same time
I intend to work hard to increase the cohesiveness of this organization
and provide coordination for the various groups forming to deal with
testing and distribution management.
One might ask, "If he doesn't like the corporate model, then why does he
want to be on a Board of Directors?". Well, I understand the need for an
"entity" that the rest of the world can deal with, but I want to make sure
that that "entity" doesn't so overwhelm the developers that we all find
ourselves playing "drone" in an environment that has become similar to all
the other corporations "out there". I understand that we need more "legal"
structure to the organization. I just want to protect the group from being
"taken over" by management.
My main goals are:

	1. Protect the professional and technical excellence of Debian.
	2. Provide more well defined structure for the operation of
	   development, testing, and release management.
	3. Develop the marketplace for Debian in a more aggressive
	   fashion, without becoming embroiled in any business enterprise.

Note that this list is in priority order. I am definitely opposed to
getting the organization heavily involved in business ventures at the
expense of what we are here to do, and that is produce a superior product
for the Free Software community.

I would appreciate your vote and support in this effort.

Sincerely,

Dwarf

Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Pixar.com   510-215-3502
Finger bruce@master.Debian.org for PGP public key.