Re: Need status reports on PAM and LIBC 6, please

Andrew,

Please forgive me for not being up to speed on PAM. I asked Debian
maintainers for a go or no-go on incorporating it in our next release
and got mixed signals.

Obviously we can take the Red Hat patches (they don't mind) or we can
make our own - it makes more sense for our packages to use the PAM
_interface_ right away, so that we don't have to change everything twice.
What I think I would like to do is use that interface but only support
conventional /etc/passwd and shadow password support (and perhaps other
modules that you tell us are solid) until you make your formal 1.0
release.

The constraints we are under are:

    1. We must do a feature-freeze soon if we are to have an adequate
       testing period.  Thus, we need the mimimum feature
       set that we want to support there within two weeks at most.

	2. We can't put in features that are so unstable that they generate
       lots of customer service calls.

In your asessment, can we go with PAM without shooting ourselves in the
foot?

	Thanks

	Bruce Perens
	Debian Project Leader

! From: "Andrew G. Morgan" <morgan@parc.power.net>
! pam-0.55 only has two known bugs: pam_warn and pam_mail are broken.. These
! will be fixed in the next alpha release: 0.56preA, but are not
! vital/necessary for the operation of a Linux box. (There are a number of
! modules that use libpwdb -- you can choose not to build these when you
! compile with a top-level Makefile define.)
!
! I would be more concerned that you have sufficient login etc.. applications
! that use PAM and can fill your system with. I have written three from
! scratch: su/login and passwd. The first two do not use libc's getpw..
! functions but libpwdb instead. It should not be that hard to make them use
! libc if you really need this, but then they will have trouble with radius
! and all the other things that are getting integrated into libpwdb.
!
! On the other hand Red Hat have done the work to hack most applications (ftp
! etc. included) to use pam. They have been shipping their distributions with
! PAM for 5 months now. Incidentally, they use su and login based on the poe
! ones, but their passwd application is an older version of mine.
!
! > galenh >I've been having a terrible time with the 0.55 sources, which I
! > galenh >downloaded out of curiosity.  My gut feeling is "no go".  Let's just
!
! If there are any problems regarding PAM I would appreciate some email on
! them. PAM is being deployed around the world at a frighteningly fast rate.
! All problems are potential security problems and I will sleep better at
! night to think they are being fixed. At the very least, difficulties
! configuring PAM should be better explained in the documentation.
!
! > galenh >deploy shadow password support, PAM supports shadow passwords anyway.
! > galenh >Does anybody have a more informed opinion?
!
! For the record 1.00 will be the first official release (which I will
! announce on c.o.l.a). I anticipate this will be before June. All releases
! prior to this are beta. Anything with a 'pre' in the title is alpha.
!
! Best wishes
!
! Andrew