Re: Modest proposal for successful releases

Brian, you wrote:

>I could easily see this if debian involed a lot of "development".  However,
>Debian is mostly about taking other people's development & testing, and
>fitting it all together.

But if the idea is to make an official Debian, I think some development is
absolutely necessary.

Sorry, about my opinions... I'm not *really* such a shit :-) But through all
the years I've become a cynical, opinionated cracker pot ;-)

Many fields, that come with Debian are great... and that I'm typing here
proves it.  However many fields don't work... for different reasons.  One of
this is 'setlocale()'... it has big/little endian problem with the locale
definitions.  The program 'date' doesn't display locale format, this is
because GNU just released it with its *own* strfrm() which bypasses the
fully functional code in the library, and strippes off NLS.  The decimal
character, because of the big/little endian, shows up as '\0' in some LANG
environments... the 'sort' program is outdated and was developed back in 1987
as a hack.  And, some locales will display '12345' or '123^@45' instead of
the normal '123.45' (or '123,45').

And waiting for upstream changes is close to a waste of time... even if
libc2.0 will solve some problems, it will probably introduce others equally
bad or worse.

These are just a few fields, which I can relate to in practice... that have
to be fully functional in an official or commercial product (IMHO).

You won't get much compaints from a normal user as a result of some of these
failures... a normal user would just judge the system as *not working* and
get it from commercial parties (Which is probably why some of the functions
above haven't reached Linux land... these functions are *hot* commercial
ability... CDE stuff ;-)

Ørn Einar Hansen                         oe.hansen@halmstad.mail.telia.com
                                          oehansen@daimi.aau.dk
                                    fax; +46 035 217194

--
This message was delayed because the list mail delivery agent was down.