Re: WebStandard 3.0 Proposal

On Sun, 19 Jan 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> I'm assuming that /usr/doc and /usr/lib/cgi-bin will eventually be
> symlinks to /usr/share/doc and /usr/share/cgi-bin . When that happens
> we have to move files for the user in some postinst script.
>
> Can you _please_ deal with the WN issue? I'll go with your proposal
> if you can just fix the problem with it wanting to have its files in-band
> with this supposedly ROM data.
>
> Is there anything that deals with .html.gz files yet? I am willing
> to live with it being uncompressed for now, but handling compressed
> pages _transparently_ is certainly a desirable feature. A CGI script
> could do it under some servers I know, perhaps not WN..

I have some time today and would like to wrap up the wn package.  I
apologize for the delay.

I'll implement the following:

    /usr/doc                     http://localhost/doc/
    /usr/lib/cgi-bin             http://localhost/cgi-bin/

    /var/www                     http://localhost/

The last refers to the root data directory.  This was specifically not
standardized but I think it might be useful to do so or at least make a
recommendation.  I've discussed the issue with the apache maintainer.

Do we assume a default page under /usr/doc?  Or must the URL refer to a
specific package?  Or a specific page?  Christoph implied this in his
suggestion of:

    /usr/doc/<pkg>/<name.html>   http://localhost/<pkg>/<name.html>

This is probably the way to go for now since most packages don't have an
index.html as a default nor is there an overall index for all packages
(does dwww provide this)?

Does my plan of replicating the /usr/doc and /usr/lib/cgi-bin under
/var/www make sense to maintain their read-only status?  They would be
syched by a cron process.

I believe wn can handle compressed html pages easily through an extension
of server side includes.  The only problem would be in the creation of the
index.cache database but we could handle this with a simple shell.

--- Jean Pierre
    wn debian package maintainer