Re: official CD business

On Sun, 19 Jan 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:
> Do I really have no support on this official CD proposal I made to
> debian-devel?
>
> All I've seen so far are negative comments from Debian maintainers and
> positive comments from CD manufacturers. This is very unsettling. If we
> can't muster up the will to market our product better we are destined
> to fail.

Here are my very quick thoughts on this subject.

Shouldn't the board of directors be elected first before we decide on
anything like this?

Sanctioning an official CD is OK with me if it will bring in some
revenue to help support the project.  I suggest doing this on a trial
basis for one release to see how well it works.

IMO, some of the revenue should be used to send free CDs to
influential, high-profile, Linux developers.  If these people started
using Debian, others would follow.

Who is going to set up and run the official help desk?  An alternative
to us setting it up would be to sanction official support providers.

Some people have complained about various things not getting done,
either at all or as well as RedHat (e.g. quality control, conversion
to new source formats, etc.).  As long as Debian is run by volunteers,
people will work on things they are interested in when they have time.
If you think something isn't getting done.  Do it yourself.  If you're
afraid of stepping on someones toes, just ask if you can help.

David