Re: WebStandard 3.0 Proposal

From: Christoph Lameter <clameter@waterf.org>
> It is better to keep .html uncompressed. It will probably difficult when
> porting a webserver to add that on-the-fly decompression and I really
> would like Debian to have all major webservers available.

Yes. However we should encourage developers to support transparent
compression of HTML pages when we can. A standard for this (or for
serving LZ compressed pages to the user, they do it now for images)
would not be a bad thing.

> Also on-the-fly decompression is a severe strain on cpu-resources

Not really, at least in the case of any of the Lempel-Ziv variants.
Compression includes an exhaustive search for common strings and thus
is slow and perhaps has a large working set.
Decompression is little more than a memory-to-memory copy.
Gunzip runs about 10X the speed of gzip, and the Pentium 90 with asynchronous
cache I'm typing on seems to be able to decompress text at greater than 1.5
Megabytes per second using gunzip. Straight LZ would be a lot faster, the
limiting factor would be the speed of memory-to-memory copy.
This is practical for documents the size of web pages on 386 systems,
as far as I can tell.

Does anyone know when the Welch patent runs out?

	Thanks

Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Pixar.com   510-215-3502
Finger bruce@master.Debian.org for PGP public key.