Re: WebStandard 3.0 Proposal

On Mon, 20 Jan 1997, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> bruce >Is there anything that deals with .html.gz files yet? I am willing
> bruce >to live with it being uncompressed for now, but handling compressed
> bruce >pages _transparently_ is certainly a desirable feature. A CGI script
> bruce >could do it under some servers I know, perhaps not WN..
>
> It is better to keep .html uncompressed. It will probably difficult when
> porting a webserver to add that on-the-fly decompression and I really
> would like Debian to have all major webservers available.
> Also on-the-fly decompression is a severe strain on cpu-resources on a
> busy webserver because the uncompression has to be run for EACH and EVERY
> webpage access! My webserver champion right now is "boa" which is a
> specially speed/resource optimized webserver and on-the-fly decompression
> is incompatible with the goals of the design.

Has anybody thaught about zlib. I remember reading somewhere that it
might be possible to use it for trasnparent compression/decompression.
If this is true, shouldn't it be possible to have the web servers to be
compiled against it and have the transparancy needed?

> Incidentally: I would suggest getting rid of all compression requirements
> in the policy and make it instead into a local policy of the sysadmin.
> There are many issues where problems can arise with files having wrong
> filenames etc etc. Perhaps the configuration manager you are envisioning
> can make compression configurable?

For normal documentation, I would rather it be compressed.  All I have to
do is a zcat on it and I can read it, and by default I save space.

Shaya